printer friendly version
Secure liquid level detection
May 2017, Level Measurement & Control
Kobold has capacitive level indicators, type NMC, specifically designed to measure liquid levels in tanks. They consist of a measuring probe and a connecting head with a plug-in evaluation module. Depending on the operating conditions, different probes are available:
• NMC-N: Standard version with metal tanks inserted, their walls undertaking the task of a second electrode. It is applicable for fluid foods as well as for different waters.
• NMC-S: The two probe sensor for non-metal tanks for operation in aggressive media.
• NMC-T: Especially for operation in non-metal holding tanks and media of lower conductivity, the designed probe consists of an interior probe and a surrounding pipe of stainless steel serving as a reference electrode.
• NMC-H: The electronics of one stick probe of stainless steel is thermally insulated by a special intermediate piece so that the sensor technology can easily handle up to 125°C.
The measuring system is based on the capacitive measuring method. The measuring probe and the tank wall, or the second electrode form the plates of a capacitor; the medium in the tank is the dielectric fluid. The capacity depends on the medium. The more the medium touches the measuring probe, the higher the capacity. This change is detected by the plug-in evaluation module and transformed in a percentage display or a 4-20 mA signal. As there are no movable parts, the unit operates almost wear-free. Lengths of PTFE coated measuring probes of stainless steel can be freely chosen up to 4000 mm. Problematic apertures at holding tank base or at the side can be avoided by virtue of a simple and secure assembly from top. Fields of application include:
• Water or water-like liquid.
• Liquid food.
• Chemicals and aggressive liquids.
• Pharmaceutical liquids.
- A diamond in level measurement
June 2017, VEGA Controls SA, Level Measurement & Control
This article explains how one operator at a diamond ore processing plant was able to gain significant advantages by switching to radar level measurement at 80 GHz.
- ABB’s laser level measurement for the mining industry
June 2017, ABB South Africa, Level Measurement & Control
To operate any process efficiently, it is essential to measure, actuate, record and control. ABB measurement products have provided world-class measurement solutions for industry, utilities and municipalities ...
- Level measurement probes for flotation applications
June 2017, Instek Control, Level Measurement & Control
This article aims to introduce the LTM-2 level measurement probes from Instek Control as an alternative to traditional measurement systems employed throughout the flotation industry. The LTM-2 probe was ...
- Emerson introduces safety certified level radar
June 2017, Emerson Automation Solutions, Level Measurement & Control
SIL 3 device provides enhanced diagnostics and remote testing capability for critical overfill prevention applications.
- Optoelectronic level measurement in pharmaceutical production
June 2017, WIKA Instruments, Level Measurement & Control
As drug production increasingly moves to emerging markets such as India, some US drug manufacturers are focusing more on the development of high value individual medicines. This shift is changing the ...
- Inductive flowmeter for conductive fluids
May 2017, Instrotech, Flow Measurement & Control
Kobold has introduced a newly-developed electromagnetic inductive flowmeter for conductive fluids – the model DMH with a standard accuracy of 0,3% of reading. It is used specifically for the measurement ...
- Vibrating fork level switch for hygienic applications
May 2017, Emerson Automation Solutions, Level Measurement & Control
Rosemount 2120 receives global approvals for sanitary and aseptic applications.
- Radar level transmitter for bypass chambers and magnetic level indicators
May 2017, Krohne, Level Measurement & Control
Krohne has introduced a new radar level transmitter for bypass chambers and magnetic level indicators, the Optiwave 1010. The 2-wire FMCW radar level transmitter is designed as a cost-effective solution ...
- Radar level sensor for liquids
Africa Automation Fair 2017 Preview, VEGA Controls SA, Level Measurement & Control
Vegapuls 64, the world’s first 80 GHz radar level sensor for liquids, has ushered in a radical new era in radar level measurement technology. The great strength of these new radar sensors is their unsurpassed ...
- Level solutions
Africa Automation Fair 2017 Preview, Allpronix, Level Measurement & Control
Allpronix has two laser level/distance transmitter models which have been developed in South Africa and manufactured locally.The AL40 has a maximum range of 40 metres while the AL100 has a maximum range ...
- Rugged ultrasonic level sensor
Africa Automation Fair 2017 Preview, Transducer Technology, Level Measurement & Control
The rugged ultrasonic level sensor from Transducer Technology stands up to oil, harsh chemicals, shock and vibration. Featuring advanced ultrasonic level sensing technology, it is designed to reduce downtime ...
- Calibration of weighing systems
Africa Automation Fair 2017 Preview, Instrotech, Maintenance, Test & Measurement, Calibration
Calog calibrators, load cells and load cell transmitters are used to manage and calibrate weighing systems. This ensures the right recipe is used to brew beer or mix cement. They are used extensively ...